Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Restorations - S/T

Restorations sort of reminds me of when Jawbreaker broke up and ex members started Jets To Brazil. It has some of the gruff, moody melodies that I love about that era of punk, but it's slowed down to a more rock and roll sound, almost radio friendly at times. Maybe picture a slowed down Gaslight Anthem and you'll start to get an idea of what we're dealing with here.

The production quality here is great. The bass tone is subtle and hard to notice at first, but it's quite strong and well done. The lyrics here seem to fall upon personal topics but they are very well written. The prose have a storytelling vibe to them that conveys honesty and authenticity. It's very similar to the Weakerthans in it's delivery at times.

I can't say whether I'm totally buying in to this, but it's not bad by any means. There's something that's keeping it from crossing the threshold for me, but I can't put my finger on it. Have a listen though, and see what you think.

Listen here.