Friday, April 20, 2012

Botch - An Anthology of Dead Ends

I've been playing what one could "technical hardcore" for some time now. Back in 2000 my room mate was desperately trying to get me to listen to Botch. There was something about it that made it impossible for me to really latch onto it. He said "Tom, this sounds similar to some of the stuff you write. How could you not like this?". A conclusion escaped me as I couldn't really put a finger on why I didn't like it.

Flash forward to 2006 and I go back to revisit Botch. Damn, what was I thinking? The band has a great technical sense and a creative approach at hardcore that keeps things interesting and intense. Perhaps the vocals get a little too forced sounding for me at times, but I'm willing to look past it since those moments are sparse.

"An Anthology of Dead Ends" presents 6 tracks of unconventional hardcore complete with intricate tempo changes, off time rhythms, tastetful guitar effects..not without the raw power and aggression to bring it to the next level. You'll find "Afghamistam" takes a detour with it's slow, melodic composition, creating a dark and moody track. A solid 6 songs here from a defunct band that have set the bar for technical hardcore to come.

Listen to it here.