Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pity Sex - Dark World

Pity Sex has that sound that can simultaneously be poppy yet super depressing.  This may seem strange, but picture the mood of Dinosaur Jr mixed with Minus The Bear and I think you can start to get a good idea. Personally I find myself focusing less on individual instruments, but rather taking in the composition and the feeling as a whole. 

I'm really impressed by this for the feeling that it communicates.  I think most of this rests on the shoulders of the song writing, though the blown out production style takes what kind have been a sterile pop sound and adds some nice grit and rawness to it. 

There's five songs here that keep a consistent sound that draws me in.  Even when the vocals are alternating between male and female the same vibe is maintained without any drastic change. I'll be listening to this all week.

Listen to it here.